Selecting a Cheap Laptop Computer
Cheap Laptop Computer
Are you looking for a cheap laptop computer?
A laptop is a personal computer designed for mobile use.
It integrates most of the components of a desktop PC such as a display, keyboard, a pointing device or a touchpad and speakers all into a single unit.
Click here to view a variety of laptops.
A laptop is powered by mains electricity by an AC adapter and can be used while away from mains electricity with the internal rechargeable battery.
The average laptop battery life varies between 3 - 5 hours depending on usage.
When a laptop is being used from the mains, the battery is being charged at the same time.
When portable computers were first introduced, they were originally monochrome and used mostly in specialized field applications.
As time went by, portable computers became smaller, lighter, cheaper and better quality. They gained popularity and were widely used for all different purposes.
Laptop computers are now faster and far more equipped than earlier models.
View my choice below:
Dell Inspiron 13 5000 2-in-1 - 13.3" FHD Touch - 8th Gen Intel i5-8250U - 8GB Memory - 256GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 620 - Theoretical Gray - i5379-5893GRY-PUS
The Inspiron 5000 2-in-1s have a sleek new design that emphasizes more screen and less bezel, focusing your attention toward the brilliant wide-angle display. A versatile 360 hinge enables four modes to suit your environment.
- 8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz).
- 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to [16GB], (additional memory sold separately).
- 256 GB (SSD).
- 13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Truelife, LED-Backlit Touch Display with Wide Viewing Angles-IR Camera.
- Be more productive. Windows 10 is the best for bringing ideas forward and getting things done.
Laptop or Notebook?
People at times interchange the words 'notebook' and laptop but there are some distinct differences. Click here to read about the differences between Laptop and Notebook Computers.
The Availability of a Cheap Laptop Computer
The best way to get a laptop computer that is cheap is by:
- Buying a low-end model.
- Buying a cheap refurbished higher-end model.
- Waiting for clearance sales.
If you only need your cheap laptop computer for basic computer needs such as email, word processing, spreadsheets and browsing the Internet, then buying a low-end model will be enough for your needs.
You do not need to be spending a lot of money on a new laptop computer when you can get a refurbished laptop computer at a cheap price.
Being on a low budget does not mean that you have to settle for a low-quality machine.
You can look at some refurbished laptops by clicking here.
A refurbished laptop computer is a system that was returned to the retailer by a customer.
These computers are thoroughly checked and re-built to original factory specs to ensure the same quality and standard as a new system.
They are re-packaged and offered for sale as 'Refurbished'.
This System is of great quality - GOOD AS NEW OR NEARLY NEW.
The advantages of purchasing a refurbished cheap laptop computer are:
- You will be paying less for a model that is almost brand new.
- You are now able to afford to buy a higher-end model from brand-name companies.
- They come with warranty and support.
You do not need to get the latest laptop computer for your computing needs. Sometimes you are far better off not buying the latest model since they can sometimes be associated with problems.
New cheap laptop computers become available in clearance sales when the manufacturers bring out newer models. The current models then become 'old' thus causing the prices for these so-called 'old' computers (which are still new!) to drop to make way for the newer models.
Advantages of a laptop computer
- Portability - Being able to carry it and use it almost anywhere. It is an excellent traveling companion. You can get your work done while you are traveling.
If you are always on the go, then a laptop is for you! With your cheap laptop computer, you will be able to access the Internet from anywhere.
A laptop can operate like a desktop computer with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse while still maintaining its portability.
- Space - Takes up very little desk space compared to a desktop computer. They are preferred due to their small size especially for persons with limited space at home or at work.
Your cheap laptop computer will be able to fit under a seat; therefore, convenient for traveling. When not in use, it can easily be closed up and fitted under a seat or bed.
- Convenience - They are an advantage to students; especially in a campus environment. Many universities have installed wired and wireless networks giving their students access to the universities' resources and general internet access anywhere.
- Weight - They are very lightweight. Many laptops weigh under 8 pounds with most of them just over 5 pounds.
- Flexibility - You will be able to move your cheap laptop computer easily from one location to another. Especially handy for students who move between their classes and dorms. All its components are attached as one unit making it easier to move around.
- Easier to be connected to your peripherals- such as printers and scanners.
- Size - Small enough to fit into a piece of luggage.
- Battery - A laptop computer comes with a rechargeable battery pack which allows you to use it for many hours without having to plug the laptop into an electrical main.
Selecting a Cheap Laptop Computer that is right for you
Your laptop computer must be powerful enough to run the software that you intend to be using it with.
The particular need of a laptop user will vary from one person to another. Here are some of the reasons why you might need a laptop computer:
- Frequent business travel.
- A student moving between classes and dorm.
- Business presentations.
- Taking home work from your office.
- Having the convenience of a laptop to use anywhere.
Deciding on why you need your cheap laptop computer and what you need it to do will definitely determine what features your laptop should have.
Ensure that the unit is equipped with the following features. (This information is based on a user with basic computing needs such as email, surfing the web, word processing and spreadsheets):
Hard Drive - You should get at least a 500GB SSD.
CPU - The Central Processing Unit - also known as a 'Computer Processor'. Get at least a 3.0 GHz AMD Ryzen Quad Core or Intel Core i5 8th Generation processor. Step to the new quad-core Intel and AMD proessors. These new CPUs enable you to multi-tasks and do more; for example, like encoding video and performing word processing tasks sultaneously.
Memory - Between 4 - 8GB DDR4 SDRAM is recommended especially if you are using Windows 10.
DVD multi-drive, multi-format, dual layer drive - To burn DVDs, CDs and watch DVD movies.
Modem - 56K - To connect to the Internet using dial-up (for individuals living in remote areas).
Ethernet Port - To connect to the Internet using Broadband Cable/DSL.
Integrated Wireless - For wireless network connections at home or at 'Hot Spots' in places such as 'Starbucks', hotels and airports. Ensure that the network card is compliant with the 802.11b/g/n/ac standards.
USB 3.0 Ports - To connect your high speed peripherals.
Operating System - I would recommend the new Microsoft operating system Windows 10 which comes in seven different flavours.
Compared to Windows 7 at its introduction, Windows 10 seems to be performing quite smoothly with minimum incompatiblities.
Battery - A large capacity rechargeable battery will be a positive feature for your cheap laptop computer. It will enable your laptop to be used for extended periods. There are various types of batteries that are available but I would recommend a lithium ion battery since they last longer on one charge. They are also environmentally friendly. Click here to view some.
Screen - Laptops use LCD (liquid crystal display) screens. These updated screens are LED (light emitting diode) backlit LCD screens which are more energy efficient and last longer than the old CRT (cathode ray tube) which is generally used by desktop computers.
There are two types of screens available - The passive-matrix and the active matrix. The active-matrix shows a better picture and is easier to read. The passive-matrix is cheaper and the picture is not as sharp but, if you are using your cheap laptop computer mostly for basic computing, then the passive-matrix screen would be O.K. for your needs.
You should try to get at least a 15-inch screen to relieve eyestrain. The larger the screen, the more you will be able to see but it would cost more!
Keyboard - The laptop keyboard is a little smaller than the typical desktop keyboard. Many of them support external keyboards.
Input Devices - Instead of a mouse, your laptop computer will have a touch pad and a pointing device.
Note: You should also try to purchase a computer case to carry and secure your laptop. You can look at some laptop computer cases here.
Cheap Laptop Computer Online Stores
There are reputable online stores that continuously have very good deals on laptop computers. I highly recommend the ones that are listed below:
You can check them out for very good prices on new cheap laptop computers. Get yours here.
Another online store that is very well known for excellent deals on cheap and refurbished laptop computers.
Click here to view.
Shop Newegg for a wide range of laptops. Click here.
Tech For Less
Bringing you savings on name brand laptops & notebooks including Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony, Toshiba, and more. Click here to view.
In earlier times, upgrading your cheap laptop computer was difficult. Now you can add memory (RAM) if your memory is not already maxed out or replacing your hard drive with an SSD.
If you would like to learn to Build Your Own Cheap Computer, browse here for a free step by step tutorial
Return from Cheap Laptop Computer to
Cheap Computer Home Page
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.